Friday, September 6, 2013

Fabric Flower Necklace


After drooling over the beautiful fabric flower necklaces on Etsy, I combed Pinterest to figure out how to make them.  After reading several tutorials, I decided to give it a try.  Thanks to Hobby Lobby, I found the Glue Dots adhesives.  Before the 40% off coupon, they were $4.99 for twenty-four two-inch rounds.  I really wanted a pack of mixed sizes; however that was not an option.  I didn't want to spend much, so I bought the biggest ones and just trimmed them down for the smaller flowers.  I used the instructions for the flowers from http://thegreenfrogstudio.typepad.com/the_green_frog_studio/inspiration-tuesday/ .  She used Glubers, I think I found the same type thing, just a different name.  Her instructions are simple and the pictures are helpful.  After I made the flowers in small, medium, and large, I laid them out in different patterns to see what looked good.  After finding an arrangement I like, I peeled off the back of each flower and stuck them on a piece of felt in the arrangement I liked.  Then I trimmed off the excess felt.  In place of a chain, I used a yarn that I had used for several of the flowers.  I tied a knot in each end of the yarn and hand-stitched it to the felt.  Necklace finished.  The total time spent was about three hours.  The flowers get easier to make as you get accustomed to working with the sticky dots.  Since I used yarn and fabric I already had, this was a low-cost project.  The glue dots were $2.99 after the coupon and the piece of felt was $0.25.  I only used nine of the glue dots, so I can get about two more necklaces from the pack.  I can get a least one, maybe two more necklace backings from the piece of felt. The ones I like on Etsy ranged from $20.00 to $50.00.  Mine cost less than $2.00 - and I like it even better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment