Thursday, September 5, 2013



I did it!  After yearning for one of the beautiful necklaces made of vintage brooches on Etsy, I made one myself.  I made it from items on hand.  I have a collection of old pins that I wore years ago.  These were collected at flea markets and yard sales.  One might have actually been purchased at a store.  I used the tutorial and template from Bromelaid.  In place of the gold elastic thread, I used 24 gauge gold wire.  After printing the template from Bromelaid's link, I played around with the arrangement of an assortment of pins.  When I got it the way I wanted, I flipped them over and started wiring them together.  This part took about an hour.  I did not like the way they hung, so I redid some of them several times to get it to lay the way I wanted. I ended up using seven brooches.  I did not snip off the clasps. After I got them just right, I put a dot of white Elmer's glue on the clasp of each pin.  If I decide to take the necklace apart, the clasps of the brooches are not ruined.  I had planned to use an older brass necklace to complete it; however, I could not bring myself to rip it apart.  I dug through some old bracelets and found two that seemed to work with the assortment of brooches used.  I wired them on and it was finished.  Start to finish, it took a total of about two hours. ♥!

No comments:

Post a Comment