Friday, December 14, 2012

Sandy Hook Elementary School

Sandy Hook Elementary School is a place I had never heard of until today.  My heart, my thoughts, and my prayers are with the staff, students, and families of Sandy Hook Elementary.  I don't want to imagine the anguish felt in that community tonight.  I have been an elementary school teacher and librarian for almost thirty years and watching the coverage of this brings to light my worst fears.  We all want to think our schools are safe and that our children are safe.  We, as a school, can practice lock downs, lock our doors, and ask for identification from adults every day; however, you can't prepare for every, EVERY possibility.  Mental illness has unimaginable power and comes in every size, age, shape, and color.  This is a nightmare come true for parents, school staff members and other adults.  Hopefully, before today, those elementary students had never imagined anything this horrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment